Having a new notebook* is a fantastic feeling, its so exciting to think of the potential of the notebook, the things you could write. That is until you open it to the first blank page. Of course, it is no different to any other page in the book, but for some reason the first page can feel daunting.
If this happens to you, here are some ideas on what to do with the first page:
BONUS: If you’re planning to keep a pandemic journal you could start with a description of what Covid-19 is, how you first heard about or a map showing how it has spread around the world.
- Copy in a headline from today’s news
- Write a list of wishes
- Leave it blank
- Write a list of things you are grateful for
- Stick in a photograph or picture of yourself
- Explain the notebook theme and why you chose it
- Complete a questionnaire about yourself e.g. weight, height, where you live
- Explain the people who you may mention in the book e.g. family tree, groups by association like work, list any abbreviations you use to refer to people such as initials
- Contact details (just in case you leave it somewhere)
- Write a prayer, mediation or affirmation, something that describes your current spiritual outlook
- Leave it blank so you can add a review or synopsis of the notebook once you’ve filled it
- Stick in a year summary calendar (potentially useful if you use a blank notebook instead of a dated one)
- Stick in a favourite picture
- Keep a store of useful information e.g. frequently used telephone numbers
- Write a summary of your goals or your mission statement
- Explain how you got the notebook e.g. gift from friend, bought on holiday
- Keep a list e.g. books read, countries visited
- Write a greeting to the book, possibly including an agreement about when, where and how you’ll use it
- Explain the notebooks purpose e.g. dream journal, to capture ideas while travelling
- Write a summary of your current situation e.g. where you live, job, relationships
- Write your feelings about the notebook and what you hope it will contain
- Copy in a favourite poem or lyric
- Write in a favourite quote
- More ideas for the first page, inspired by the comments on this post
What do you do on the first page of your notebooks? Do you do anything special?
Edited 7th September 2010 to include link in point 18.