Last Updated: 27 September, 2020
Blogging has been around since the 1990s, but has become widely accepted and popular over the last few years; from large scale sites to niche and very personal there is something out there for just about everyone.
If you want to join the trend and be a blogger you can quickly set up a site on Blogger or WordPress. However, just because its easy doesn’t mean it is right for everyone, for example what if you don’t think you can write regularly, or you are not interested in looking after the site upkeep. Can you still participate? Of course you can, you just need to existing blogs you can write for; here are a few ideas:
- Ask friends and family – Do any of your friends or family have blogs? Are they on topics you are knowledgeable?
- Work or associations – Does your company or association e.g. sports club, school drama club have a blog?
- Blogs you interact on – If you’ve written several good quality comments on a blog the owner is likely to have noticed you and has already seen your writing style. Get in touch and explain why you’d like to write for their site and the topics you’d like to cover
- Blogging jobs – There are frequently blogging jobs going on a variety of blogging boards. However, these are often for several posts a week so are not suitable if you want to write irregularly plus they usually need track record.
- Guest post services – Sign up to a site like Myguestblog that provides a forum for blog owners and writers to meet
When approaching a blog owner, remember the site is important to them. You should always respect this and appreciate the opportunity; always be polite, follow any guidelines provided, ensure the post topic fits the site and meet any timescales given. And of course, if you want to be invited back try and do the little things that makes your hosts tasks easier e.g. source images, here are some more tips on being a good guest blogger:
Do you write guest posts? How did you find the opportunity? Or do you have guest bloggers on your site, what do you expect from them?