Last Updated: 26 September, 2020
We’re stuck on the remodelling of our new house. We’ve agreed we don’t want a separate dining room, but can’t decide what to do with the space; make a kitchen dining room or a lounge dining room.
Kitchen dining rooms are in favour
Two architects have seen the house and they both suggested making a kitchen dining room, and almost all the comments I’ve read in forums have recommended a kitchen dining room. In fact in our old house we changed the lounge dining room into a kitchen breakfast room (use the sink for reference as it stayed in the same place). I don’t know how we would have managed weaning with the small kitchen.
But, I’m not sure the answer is that simple in our new house.
Space for both?
We will be making our new kitchen bigger by extending into the downstairs bathroom. This will give us a large front to back kitchen big enough for a table and hopefully a sofa. We will keep the existing lounge which is separated from the kitchen by the dining room (accessible from both but not direct from the entrance hall). Which way should it go?
The larger kitchen will be used most days for eating as a family, but we also want an area to have larger formal dining, such as birthdays and Christmas, and this could be achieved by knocking the dining room into either the lounge or the kitchen. We had originally thought of having a lounge dining room, but as there seems to be a strong view for kitchen dining rooms, are we missing something?
Taking in to account we will already have a table in the kitchen, here are the reasons we’ve come with up for each option
Reasons for a lounge dining room:
- eating area is separate to cooking area (guests don’t see what is going on in the kitchen)
- any dirty washing can be shut away while entertaining
- can shut the kitchen door if the dishwasher is on, so the meal is quieter
- have additional high surface away from cooking (useful for computers, important papers, board games etc)
Reasons to have a kitchen dining room:
- kitchen becomes the major room of the house
- lounge becomes a room for relaxing
- don’t have to clear the table after the meal, can just shut the kitchen door and deal with the plates later
- the cook is not shut away in the kitchen and can join in the discussions
It appears this is a fundamental question we have to answer before we can start working on our house, so I’m interested in your thoughts. Which do you have? How do you use it? What would you like if you had the choice? Do you have any other recommendations for me, such as what about a playroom?