Last Updated: 27 September, 2020
You may have noticed I’ve been quiet recently. In fact I’ve been more than quiet I’ve been absent.
This wasn’t a planned summer break, in fact it is the opposite of what I’d planned. During our two week holiday I’d intended to plan and draft posts and then in the following (child-free) two weeks I was going to write lots of posts.
During the years I’ve been blogging I’ve read lots of tips such as post frequently and regularly, and combined with my love of spreadsheets and tracking I’m always looking to do more and be better (there is so much I want to do for this blog such as post more often on Facebook and even start a podcast). This has meant I’m trying to achieve something I can’t describe or even know if I actually want to achieve it, and I spend a long time trying to do more that it is having a detrimental impact on my non-digital life.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not planning on going on a digital detox or stopping this blog, because I love digital far too much for that, however I am going to reconsider how I spend my time – do I actually want to do all these things and if so can I do them quicker, smarter or more efficiently.
Three things I’ve realised are
- I’ve tried to make this blog too much into a process where I’m planning what I’m going to publish in advance, outline, draft and write – I think this has resulted in me losing the emotion and excitement of writing
- I’m bombarded with information, some I find interesting and some I don’t, and I’ve got lost in digital information to the point where I’m feeling overwhelmed
- All my devices are almost full of data so run very slow and it takes ages to do any task
So what does this mean for the future of this blog? I don’t know. I don’t even know when I’ll back again (although I’ve got lots I want to share so I hope to be back soon). I’m going to start with the following tasks with the hope that once I’ve achieved these I’ll be able to blog efficiently within a balanced digital / non-digital life:
- Reassessing my prioirities
- Reducing digital notifications
- Speeding up devices by reducing files
Have you ever felt lost in the digital world? What are your tips for dealing with digital distractions?